Summer Session | Virtual Learning Program
June 29–July 31 | for students entering Grades 9–12
Make the most of online learning this summer with NMH Summer Session’s virtual learning program.
Applications no longer being accepted for summer 2020.
For more than 100 years, NMH has offered rigorous academics, innovative teaching, and individualized attention. It’s all offered online this summer through a five-week virtual learning plan with the same personalized touch, close connection with NMH teachers, small class sizes, and excellent support from academic coaches and college counselors that families expect.
For some students, summer online learning at NMH is a chance to experience a challenging academic subject, possibly for the first time. For others, it’s a chance to build on their existing foundation and get a jump on college preparation. Courses marked with an asterisk (see 2020 Courses below) cover a full year's work.
In addition to brief weekly progress reports emailed to parents, a final and more detailed report, along with a full course description, will be emailed to parents at the conclusion of the program. For students who do not currently attend Northfield Mount Hermon during the academic year, final reports and course descriptions can also be sent to their schools; it is up to those institutions to determine granting of credit.
Online Summer Session students benefit from the “head, heart, and hand” approach to teaching and learning at NMH in a virtual setting. Get ahead, fill in gaps, repair academic disruptions, further academic skills and knowledge, and excel for the upcoming school year.
Summer Virtual Learning Program
- Students entering grades 9-12 focus on a course for future placement or enrichment for an intensive, immersive learning experience.
- Welcome and orientation program for online success for all students.
- Virtual learning plan includes five weeks of courses using Canvas, Zoom, and Gmail, plus offline work and nightly homework and projects.
- Small class sizes of no more than 12 students.
- All classes recorded, archived, and accessible 24-7, so students can take part by using the recorded classes whenever they are not able to participate in the live classes.
- Progress reports sent to parents each week.
- Individual and group coaching in mathematics, science, writing, and research.
- College counseling “boot camp” offers weekly hour-long classes and one-on-one counseling.
- Access to NMH library online and coaching in research skills.
- Health and wellness seminars each week.
- Online fitness classes.
- Virtual College Fair.
Virtual College Fairs
While we are disappointed not to be able to host our 50th summer college fair on campus this year, we are excited to announce that we will be hosting 80 top colleges in two virtual college fairs on July 15 and July 29 from 7 to 8:30 pm ET. NMH rising seniors, Upward Bound students, NMH Virtual Learning Program students and local high school students will be emailed by July 7 with information about how to attend. Email email@example.com with questions.