Summer Session FAQs

This section is designed to answer questions you may have when first looking at our program. Detailed information is sent to accepted students after they enroll.

Application Questions

What are the dates for Summer Session 2018?

June 30–August 4, 2018

What are the tuition and course fees?

Rising Scholars Program and College Prep Program tuition: $8,400 for boarding students, $3,000 for day students.

Courses with additional fees: English as a Second Language, $500; Studio Art, Ceramics, Drawing and Painting, $50; SSAT Preparation, $730; SAT Preparation, $730 or $415 (See College Prep minor course description.)

What other additional costs are there?

• The student activities fee of $275 covers all on-campus activities and off-campus trips (excluding the New York trip, which is an additional $50).

• Health insurance ($206) is required for all international students and domestic students unless you have your own insurance which has been approved by our health center. See "Health Questions" section for more information.

• The amount of spending money varies by individual preference. Students will need some spending money for miscellaneous expenses such as toiletries and snacks/food/souvenirs on trips. Some students spend $50 a week, some spend much more.

• Books: $50 to $250, depending on which course(s) are taken.

Who can apply for financial aid?

Anyone may apply for financial aid, although the majority of aid is reserved for U.S. citizens. The deadline for submission of all application materials is February 15. Applicants will be advised of our decision by March 15.

Do English as a Second Language (ESL) speakers have to provide TOEFL scores?

Students applying for our ESL course do not need to send TOEFL scores as part of their application. The day after they arrive at NMH, they will be tested so that we can place them in the correct level. We offer 7 to 8 levels, from beginning to advanced.

If you are an international student wishing to apply for Rising Scholars or College Prep courses other than ESL, you must send us a copy of a graded essay of at least 450 words that you wrote this school year for your English class. Your name and your teacher’s corrections and comments must be included.

How many students attend Summer Session and where are they from?

Last summer, our student body represented 28 countries. We average approximately 240 boarders and 40 day students. Since the beginning of the program, we have had students from all 50 U.S. states and 120 countries.

Transportation Questions

Note: We advise that you do not book flights until your child in accepted and enrolled. We will send specific guidelines for you to follow when booking flights.

What is the nearest airport?

Bradley International Airport (BDL) in Connecticut is approximately one hour’s drive from the school. NMH provides a free bus service only from Bradley International Airport to our campus.

If a student chooses to fly to another airport, parents must make their own arrangements for their son’s/daughter’s transportation to NMH. (See next section.) Please keep in mind that Logan Airport (Boston, Massachusetts) is more than two hours’ drive from our campus, and JFK Airport (New York) is more than four hours’ drive from our campus. Remember to allow time to get through baggage claim and security!

How do I arrange transportation from an airport other than Bradley International Airport?

The following local car services provide airport transportation and unaccompanied minor services. Parents should contact them directly for rates and reservations.

Green River Transportation:, telephone 1-413-883-6352

Thomas Transportation:, telephone 1-603-352-5550

May I arrive after the beginning of Summer Session?

Students must arrive between 10 am and 4 pm on Saturday, June 30. Students taking credit courses cannot afford to miss a single day of study, as they are fitting a full year’s coursework into five intensive weeks. Classes begin on Monday morning.

Students enrolled in ESL are required to take a special English test on the morning of Sunday, July 1, in order to be placed at the correct level.

When can I leave Summer Session?

Closing day, when NMH Summer Session ends and all students depart, is Saturday, August 4. Final classes take place on Friday, August 3, and there are special farewell events for students that evening. (Students can, in fact, depart after classes end after 3 pm on Friday, August 3, although most will wish to remain for the farewell activities on Friday evening and then depart on Saturday morning). Families are invited to join us for dinner, student performances, and an opportunity to speak with individual teachers on Friday, August 3, between 6:15 and 7 pm or on Saturday, August 4, between 8:30 and 9:30 am. (We understand that many families will be unable to attend, particularly since half of our students come to us from other countries.)

May I leave campus?

Yes, but only under certain conditions and with your house director’s and/or parent/guardian’s written permission.

Campus Life Questions

What are the dorms like?

We have six dorms of various sizes on campus. Rising Scholars students are housed in our smaller dorms. Each dorm is managed by a house director and several college interns (from four or five in the smaller dorms to eight or nine in the larger dorms). Each dorm staff member has advisees with whom they keep in close contact throughout the summer, helping them settle in, and with homework and any issues or questions they may have. Your child’s advisor should be your primary contact to address any problems. Your advisor’s contact information will be given to you at registration on the first day. Read more about the dorms.

Can my friend be my roommate?

We encourage students to room with someone new, ideally with someone who speaks another language. By doing so, you will get to know new friends from different cultures and improve your language skills.

What security measures do you take to ensure the safety of my child?

Well-trained, uniformed campus safety officers are on duty, keeping school residents safe and facilities secure at all times. Exterior dormitory doors are always locked, requiring those entering to have a key card that is individually programmed to permit entrance into specified buildings. Safety officers and the health center staff are equipped and trained to deal with medical emergencies. All house directors and house staff members are trained in first aid and CPR. Safety officers also respond to any other type of emergency and coordinate with local fire and police departments as necessary.

Each student is given a room key. If they lose their room key or card, it must be reported to dorm staff immediately and a replacement will be ordered for them. There is a charge of $40 per key or ID card.

What is the daily schedule like?

View the College Prep schedule or the Rising Scholars schedule.

What can I do in my free time?

Summer Session students have access to all of NMH’s facilities during the summer. Here's a quick overview of what’s available.

• NMH stands on 1,565 acres in the beautiful Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts.

• Our sports facilities include full gymnasium (with badminton courts, three basketball courts, a 25-meter swimming pool, two volleyball courts, a state-of-the-art fitness gym, and dance studio), track, seven soccer fields (including one turf field), 12 tennis courts, two baseball fields, one softball field, a boathouse on the Connecticut River, and canoeing on Shadow Lake.

• We have a wonderful student social area in Blake Student Center which adjoins the student snack bar and school store. Here students can socialize with friends — watch TV, play pool or table tennis, or join in one of the many organized activities.

• Schauffler Library has over 70,000 books and other materials, providing a quiet area for study or reading. It also houses one of our computer labs.

• Rhodes Arts Center has a dance performance space with a sprung floor which doubles as a black-box theater; a theater; and various art and ceramics studios.

• Alumni Hall is our fabulous dining facility, which serves a variety of hot and cold food, with a full deli bar, salad bar, dessert bar, fresh fruit station, and ice cream.

"What to Bring" Questions

What should I bring?

Although NMH Summer Session does not provide a clothing list, students usually wear T-shirts and jeans or shorts. Clothes must be presentable, non-revealing, properly fitted, and in good repair. While evenings are often cool (60F/15.5C), days can become quite hot (80F/27C). For off-campus trips to the theater or worship services, students are expected to dress appropriately.

Laundry is collected weekly on Friday and returned the following Tuesday, so be sure to pack sufficient clothing. Note: the longest stretch will be from arrival on Saturday, June 30, through to the following Tuesday (nine days).

Which classes require specific equipment (apart from a computer)?

Digital Photography students must bring their own digital SLR camera (not fully automatic; it must allow for manual focus). NMH does not have any cameras for student use.

The Writing and the Outdoors class requires the following:

  • Comfortable backpack large enough to carry a notebook, raincoat, and water bottle. (All students are given a free water bottle on registration day; it should be brought to class every day.)
  • Shoes and socks that you can walk in all day, and get muddy and wet! Sneakers are great.
  • Your favorite sun protection. This can be sunblock, or light-colored, long-sleeved shirts and a hat.
  • Raincoat that you can wear while hiking or paddling a canoe, for example

Algebra II and Precalculus requires a Texas Instruments TI-nSpire CAS graphing calculator.

College Writing students will have many assignments that must be done on a laptop, tablet, or Chromebook. Please remember to bring one with you. Summer Session is not able to loan computers to students.

Do I need a computer?

Students — especially those taking courses that involve writing — should bring a laptop computer, tablet, or Chromebook. It should have Google Chrome installed as a web browser, as this works best with the NMH Google account. Many teachers assign both in-class work and homework that requires writing and submission of work via the Google drive. NMH does not provide computers for students to use during class, and although there are a limited number of computers for use in the library and computer labs, these will not satisfy students' in-class needs.

What things are not allowed?

Due to health and safety/fire regulations the following items are not permitted: cloth wall, curtain, or ceiling hangings; Matches, lighters, or fireworks; dry floral arrangements or evergreens; electric blankets; foam padding, including foam mattress pads; electrical items such as air conditioners, televisions, coffee or tea-makers, hot plates, popcorn poppers, toaster ovens, irons, etc; candles; incense burners; high-intensity lamps (especially halogen lamps), strings of decorative lights; pets of any kind; large furniture; upholstered, stuffed, or beanbag chairs; wicker furniture; weapons or knives (including Swiss Army knives); and plastic, straw, shag, or rubber-backed rugs.

What sports equipment should I bring?

Most sports do not have any required equipment with the exception of:

Soccer: cleats and shin guards are required.

Tennis: tennis shoes with smooth, non-marking soles, and a tennis racquet. NMH provides balls during official tennis practice. If you plan to play during free time, please bring tennis balls.

Mountain biking: mountain bicycle and helmet are required. They are available for rent.

Optional: baseball/softball glove for the faculty-vs.-student softball games.

Food Questions

What’s the food like? Do you cater for those with allergies?

The food is amazing! Alumni Hall serves the entire Northfield Mount Hermon community as the central dining facility. The variety of offerings is quite extensive. Vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free offerings are available at each meal. All allergies should be included in your medical information so that we can inform all relevant staff.

When is the dining hall open?

Monday to Saturday breakfast hours are 7:15–8:30 am, lunch hours are 11am–1pm, and dinner hours are 5–7 pm. On Sundays, Continental breakfast hours are 8–10 am, brunch hours are 10 am–1 pm, and dinner hours are 5–7 pm.

Snacks and “fast food” items such as wraps, omelets, and breakfast sandwiches are also available at the snack bar in the Blake Student Center. It is open 9:30–11:30 am Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday; 9:30am–5pm Wednesday, and 1–11 pm Saturday.

Health Questions

Do I need health insurance?

All students are required to have health insurance. All international students are required to take out our NMH health insurance.

What health information do you require?

Parents must complete online medical information, including student medical history and immunization records, prior to a student’s arrival at NMH. Please note that all students are required to provide documentation of a doctor’s physical completed within 12 months of Summer Session’s start date, so you may need to book this appointment ahead of time.

What if I am sick?

The school physician is available every week day at the health center and after hours when necessary. If a student becomes ill at hours other than the posted outpatient hours, his/her advisor and dorm head should be notified. Inpatient services are provided by the nursing staff as required. School nurses are on duty during posted hours and on call at all other times; 24-hour emergency care is provided at the local hospital.

If a day student is sick, the parent/guardian should call the Summer Session office at 413-498-3290 so we can inform all the necessary personnel. Emailing the teacher/intern is not sufficient, as they may not check their email immediately, and we need to account for any absences immediately.

What if I need to take prescription medication?

Parents must inform NMH Health Services about any medications taken by students. Prescription medications from home—including those that fall under the category of psychotropic (anti-anxiety, anti-depressants, stimulants for ADD or ADHD, and some sleep aids)—must be shipped or hand-delivered by the parent/guardian to NMH Health Services. Medications may not be given to the student to bring with him/her if not accompanied by a parent/guardian, and may not be mailed to the student. Allergy medications and a schedule for dispensing them must be given to the NMH health center. Antibiotics, allergy and cold preparations, and nutritional supplements are dispensed as needed. All medications are held at the health center and dispensed to students. Students may not keep any prescription medications in their rooms.


All absences must be approved by the Summer Session office. Attendance is required at all classes, sports, and work assignments. Students should not request to be excused except in cases of illness. In such cases, they may be excused only by the school physician or nurses. Students who miss an excessive number of classes are liable for dismissal.

Financial Questions

How do I pay tuition and fees?

You may pay online through our payment portal using your credit card or by e-check, check, or bank wire.

How do I put money on my child’s account?

Students with ATM cards can access spending money by using the TD Bank automated teller machine (ATM) in the Blake Student Center, or parents can deposit money with NMH for the student's personal spending account through our online payment portal.

If a student has a TD Bank debit or ATM card, there are no fees for withdrawals at a TD Bank ATM. For cards other than TD Bank, there is a fee per transaction, and the student’s bank may also charge a fee. Those wishing to set up a TD Bank account must contact TD Bank directly (

NMH spending accounts should be set up ahead of time when paying the tuition bill by including an extra amount designated for the student’s spending account. Alternatively, this can be done through our online payment portal on the Summer Session website (as you did for the initial application fee; the only difference is you add the dollar amount under “Student Spending Account.”)

The advantage of establishing an ATM account is that the on-campus ATM is available at any time, and students can also access ATM funds while on off-campus trips. The NMH cashier’s office cannot process ATM deposits and withdrawals, and students can only access their NMH spending account during certain hours.

Funds deposited with NMH cannot be accessed through an ATM. Students cannot make withdrawals from their NMH spending account on the weekends, so they must plan ahead. Students should not keep large amounts of cash on their person or in their room.

How much money should I bring?

This is a personal preference and will vary for every child. We can advise that your child should only need money for items such as toiletries, snacks, and spending money on trips and cash for traveling to and from NMH (at the airport, for example). Students should not keep large amounts of cash on their person or in their room.

How do I check my account balance?

You may contact our accounts office to get information on your child’s account by contacting:

Joanne Graves at (or telephone 413-498-3268) or

Angie Fletcher at (or telephone 413-498-3189)

You may also set up an account with My Kids Spending at This will give you up-to-date information regarding your account. The accounts are updated nightly Monday through Friday.

My Kids Spending Information:

• Parent and students can create and access their My Kids Spending account. To create an account:

1. Navigate to

2. Select "Create Account or Add Student to Existing Account."

3. Fill in parent name, student name, student ID number, and email address to create a My Kids Spending account.

4. Students will only need accounts if they want to download and use the free My Kids Spending app, from Google Play (Android) or iTunes (Apple).

• Statements: Parents can request statements on-demand or by pre-selecting a low-balance threshold at which a statement will be automatically emailed.

• To request a statement, once logged into, select the "Statements" button. On the statements page, check "Request copy of statement" and click “Submit.” Statements are typically sent as an automated process overnight, so please allow up to 24 hours for your request to be processed.

• To have statements sent whenever the account balance drops below a specific point, check "Enable Statement Delivery" and enter the desired threshold in the box.

Academics Questions

What are credit courses?

The majority of our College Prep courses may be taken for academic-year credit. Many students are able to satisfy requirements during the five weeks for full-year courses, such as U.S. History, the sciences, or mathematics. However, credit acceptance is at the discretion of your academic-year school.

How much homework will I have?

This will vary depending on your course. Rising Scholars should anticipate 1¾ hours of homework and College Prep students up to three hours of homework each day. ESL students in grades 7–9 should expect 1¾ hours of work and those in grades 10–12 can expect three hours of work.

Are courses held every day?

All students, regardless of program, attend classes Monday through Saturday. Classes finish at 11:30 am on Saturdays. There are no minor courses or sports classes on Saturday afternoon.

Do I need a computer?

Students — especially those who are enrolled in courses that involve writing — should bring a laptop computer, tablet, or Chromebook. It should have Google Chrome installed as a web browser, as this works best with the NMH Google account. Many teachers assign both in-class work and homework that requires writing and submission of work via Google drive. NMH does not provide computers for students to use during class, and although there are a limited number of computers for use in the library and computer labs, these will not satisfy students' in-class needs.

Can I change my courses?

It is possible to change a major course or minor course during the first days of the Summer Session. Only the director or associate director may authorize such a change. No changes may be made after the second meeting of a course.

Communications Questions

When and how will I hear if my child has been accepted?

Once all your application paperwork is complete, you should generally receive an email from us within a couple of days.

When and how will I hear whether I have been awarded financial aid?

Financial aid applicants will be notified of our decision by email by March 15.

How should I address a package to my child?

You should use the following format:

(Name of Child)
Northfield Mount Hermon Summer Session
One Lamplighter Way,
Mount Hermon, MA 01354

How can my child mail something?

He or she should take it directly to the mail room in the center of campus, adjoining Blake Student Center.

I want to speak to my child but cannot reach her/him. What should I do?

If you cannot reach your child by phone, text, or email, you should contact the adviser or, if the adviser is unavailable, the house director. Their emails will be provided to you at the start of Summer Session.

Is there internet access in the dorms?

Yes, wireless internet is available all over campus.


News articles

Greenfield Recorder