Rising Scholars Summer Session
Programming for students entering grades 7–9 in fall 2022
Experienced and supportive teachers. Small classes. Opportunities to gain confidence and knowledge. This program will help you hone your academic skills in courses that most middle schools don’t offer and in small groups where you’ll get individual attention from expert teachers.
Build confidence and self-reliance. Living in a dorm allows you the opportunity to grow personally, build lifelong friendships, and become a more confident and more socially aware individual. Don’t miss this chance at a life-changing opportunity. APPLY NOW!
This has been such a great experience for my child, and I believe it will truly change the way he looks at education going forward. Based on what he has gained over the past three weeks, I would highly recommend NMHSS to anyone.
- Five-week session: July 2–Aug. 6 Choose two half-morning major courses, or one full-morning math credit course (Algebra I, Geometry, or Algebra II) which also meets in the first half of the afternoon.
- Three-week session: July 2–23 Choose one full-morning workshop.
- Classes meet for 75 minutes Monday through Saturday. To view the daily schedule click here.
- Math courses are five weeks long and frequently satisfy full-year requirements at other schools.
- Students attending the on-campus program also choose an afternoon minor course and a sport.
- Extensive student activities programming Wednesday afternoons and weekends for on-campus students.
- Online program is only available for math credit courses and Journalism.
- Students wishing to take SSAT must also register for major courses.
- Algebra I*
- Algebra II*
- Skills in Literature
- The World of the Short Story
- The Art of Writing
- Field Biology
- Forensic Science
- Marine Biology
- Sustainable Solutions
- Social Psychology
- Heroes and Villains
- Medieval History
- Pandemics and Plagues Through History
- Studio Art
- Journalism (3-week workshop, online only)
- The World Around Us (3-week workshop)
- Exploration of Physical Sciences (3-week workshop)
Rising Scholars minor courses are held in the afternoon from 3:30 to 5 pm.
- Ceramics (only offered at 1:30-3pm instead of sports)
- Community Service*
- Digital Photography*
- Drawing and Painting*
- Learning Skills & Strategies
- Practical Economics
- Public Speaking*
- SSAT Preparation (additional course fee applies)
- Summer Session Singers (only offered at 1:30-3pm instead of sports)
Students may choose to take two minors in the afternoon instead of one minor course and a sport. Please note that you will be joining students of a different age range for one of the sessions, if you choose to do so. These options are marked with *.
Rising Scholars sports take place from 1:30 to 3 pm Monday through Friday (except Wednesday). Options include basketball, dance, fitness and strength training, hiking, running, soccer, swimming, tennis, ultimate frisbee, volleyball, and yoga.
Ready to take the next step?