A girl from Brasil shares her experiences at Northfield Mount Hermon Summer Session. A student video — ESOL 2019.
ESOL Summer Session
Programming for students entering grades 7–12
If you’re an international student and want to improve your English skills in order to enroll at an American high school or university, this is the program for you. There are classes for all levels, from beginners to advanced speakers. Students will be placed in the appropriate level through an English-language placement test.
Our experienced ESOL teachers will provide personal attention in small classes and a supportive environment and individual attention. The curriculum contains an array of opportunities for growth. You’ll read novels, write essays, give oral presentations in English, do research on American culture, and interact with students from all over the world. Students also choose a minor course for enrichment and a sport in the afternoon. For minor course options please refer to either College Prep Minors or Rising Scholars Minors (depending on your grade).
- Five-week on-campus and online programs: July 2–Aug. 6
- All skill levels welcome, from beginners to advanced speakers.
- Three hours of instruction per day Monday through Saturday.
- You’ll build skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
- Instruction includes group discussions, collaborative skits, role-playing, and presentations.
- On-campus program includes an extensive student activities program Wednesday afternoons and weekends.
- Online courses for ESOL (5-weeks) include morning classes; minor courses are not available online.
Afternoon minor course options:
(for on-campus students only)
- Astronomy (3:30-5 pm only)
- Ceramics (1:30pm)
- Sculpture (3:30pm)
- Community Service
- Digital Photography
- Drawing and Painting
- Learning Strategies and Skills (only open to RS students)
- Practical Economics (only open to RS students)
- Public Speaking
- Renewable Energy
- Robotics (3:30-5 pm only)
- SAT/SSAT Prep (additional course fee applies; online options available)
- Summer Session Singers (1:30-3 pm only)
Students may choose to take two minor courses in the afternoon instead of one minor course and a sport. Please note that you will be joining students of a different age range for one of the sessions, if you choose to do so.
Sports take place from 1:30 to 3 pm for Rising Scholars (grades 7–9) or from 3:30 to 5 pm for College Prep (grades 10–12) Monday through Friday (except Wednesday). Options include basketball, dance, fitness and strength training, hiking, running, soccer, swimming, tennis, ultimate frisbee, volleyball, and yoga.