Commencement exercises for the Class of 2018 are scheduled for 11 am on Sunday, May 27, 2018.
The 135th Commencement of Northfield Mount Hermon will take place on Sunday, May 27, 2018. Families and guests are welcome to attend the Baccalaureate service Sunday, May 20, as well as the Class Day exercises and Commencement eve dinner on Saturday, May 26. Class of 2018 parents will receive invitations in March with details about NMH Commencement exercises.Questions? Email or call Sherri Haughey in the Dean of Students' Office (413-498-3252 or email@example.com).
- Baccalaureate: Sunday, May 20, 11 am, Memorial Chapel. Members of the Class of 2018 join the faculty for reflection, song, and the salutatory address. The community honors retiring teachers. Families and guests are welcome, but not expected, to attend.
- Commencement Rehearsal: Saturday, May 26, 10:30 am–noon, Memorial Chapel. Required for the Class of 2018 only.
- Class Day Exercises: May 26, 5–6:30 pm, Memorial Chapel. Faculty and staff join the Class of 2018 and their guests for the graduate awards ceremony and valedictory address.
- Commencement Eve Dinner: May 26, 6:30–8 pm, Alumni Hall and tent next to Alumni. A special-occasion dinner for the Class of 2018, their families, guests, and NMH faculty. Reservations are required. Closer to Commencement, families can use this link to make reservations.
- Catholic Commencement Eve Mass: May 26, 7:30 pm, Memorial Chapel. This tradition accommodates students and families who would not otherwise be able to attend Mass on Sunday because of Commencement. Our celebrant will be Fr. Ryan Rooney ’03.
- Class of 2018 Breakfast: Sunday, May 27, 8:30 am, Alumni Hall. Class of 2018 only.
- Class of 2018 Head of School’s Gathering: Sunday, May 27, 10 am, Memorial Chapel. Class of 2018 only.
- Commencement: Sunday, May 27, 11 am, Thorndike Field. Tickets are not necessary. (Please note that student commitments begin at 8:30 am.) Diplomas are awarded to the Class of 2018.
- Commencement Lunch: May 27, 1 pm. Complimentary buffet lunch for students, their families, and guests. Located in Alumni Hall for students affiliated with the Cottages, Hayden, Wallace, Rikert, Oaknoll, South Farmhouse, and North Farmhouse. Located in Forslund Gym for students from Crossley, MacKinnon, Shea, and Overtoun.
NMH is proud to announce that Adam Fisk ’94 will give the 2018 Commencement address.
He is the CEO and lead developer of Lantern, an app used worldwide to circumvent internet censorship. Lantern brings free internet and hope to people otherwise without unfettered access to news and social-media sites.
Please plan ahead and make reservations as soon as possible. Spring is a busy time in the Pioneer Valley; most hotels south of NMH will be booked early. Also consider looking north to nearby Brattleboro, VT, or Keene, NH. For a list of hotels, check out the area lodging page.
In late February, parents will receive a packet of information that will include an invitation to Commencement exercises.
In late March, members of the Class of 2018 will be given a link to the Class of 2018 calendar and an invitation to Commencement exercises. Additional invitations will be available in the deans' office.
Caps and gowns
Commencement regalia belong to the school and are loaned to students for Baccalaureate and Commencement. We ask graduates to return their caps and gowns immediately after Commencement, so as not to incur a late fee.
Campus safety officers will direct you to campus parking on Commencement morning. If you have special parking needs, please inform the officer. Vehicle and pedestrian traffic on campus will be heavy; please obey the campus speed limit (19 mph) and be sure to allow extra time for parking.
Accessibility for people with disabilities
Golf carts will be circulating throughout campus to assist anyone with special needs. Please take advantage of this complimentary service. Restrooms for people with disabilities are available in nearly all buildings except older dormitories.
Professional photographers from Commencement Photos, Inc. will take one candid shot of every student accepting his or her diploma and one posed shot at the bottom of the stage. We encourage you to use this service and to limit personal photography during the ceremony for the benefit of all Commencement guests.
An order form for Commencement Photos, Inc. will be mailed to you in February. You also may order from the company's website just before and after Commencement.
In addition, general photos taken during Commencement weekend by NMH photographers will be available at our Flickr site within a few days of the event.
LIVESTREAM/video of Commencement ceremony
Extreme weather plan
Commencement is held under a spacious tent on Thorndike Field. Please be prepared for variable weather.
No tickets are necessary for Commencement.
Thorndike Field may prove difficult to walk on with high-heeled shoes. Given the rolling campus terrain, the paths, and the lawns, graduates, families, and guests are urged to wear flat-soled shoes on campus. Please check the forecast and dress for the weather.
Campus dormitories will close for graduates at 5 pm on Commencement Sunday. Please remove all personal items from your graduate's room. Anything left behind will be donated to charity or to the NMH Ecoleaders' fall tag sale.
Shipping and storage
Summer storage may be available at local facilities such as Bernardston Self Storage (413-648-5393). You also may obtain permission to ship directly to the college your graduate will attend in the fall. The campus UPS store will be open only during weekdays and closed Sunday, May 27, so encourage your graduate to pack and ship belongings before Commencement weekend.
Graduation gift ideas
- Lift Thine Eyes: The Landscape, the Buildings, the Heritage of Northfield Mount Hermon School (2010). Available in the NMH Bookstore on Sunday, May 27. Hardcover books, $50; soft cover, $37.50. To order online, click here or call 413-498-3411.
- You may wish to purchase a congratulatory postcard and rose to honor your graduate. Cards and flowers will be received the morning of Commencement, before the ceremony. You can also purchase cards to thank teachers who have played an important role during your student's time at NMH. Orders are due by May 11. Please follow this link for commencement rose and card details.