Commencement exercises for the Class of 2019 are scheduled for 11 am on Sunday, May 26, 2019.
The 136th Commencement of Northfield Mount Hermon will take place on Sunday, May 26, 2019. Families and guests are welcome to attend the Baccalaureate service Sunday, May 19, as well as the Class Day exercises and Commencement eve dinner on Saturday, May 25.
Questions? Email or call Sherri Haughey in the Dean of Students' Office at 413-498-3252.
See the Calendar of Events for Seniors here. Please note that this is a live schedule; events and times are subject to change.
Events for family and guests are summarized below.
- Baccalaureate: Sunday, May 19, 11 am, Memorial Chapel. Members of the Class of 2019 join the faculty for reflection, song, and the salutatory address. The community honors retiring teachers. Families and guests are welcome, but not expected, to attend.
- Commencement Rehearsal: Saturday, May 25, 10:30 am–noon, Memorial Chapel. Required for the Class of 2019 only.
- Class Day Exercises: May 25, 5–6:30 pm, Memorial Chapel. Faculty and staff join the Class of 2019 and their guests for the graduate awards ceremony and valedictory address.
- Commencement Eve Dinner: May 25, 6:30–8 pm, Alumni Hall and tent next to Alumni. A special-occasion dinner for the Class of 2019, their families, guests, and NMH faculty. Reservations are required.
- Catholic Commencement Eve Mass: May 25, 7:30 pm, Memorial Chapel. This tradition accommodates students and families who would not otherwise be able to attend Mass on Sunday because of Commencement. Our celebrant will be Fr. Ryan Rooney ’03.
- Class of 2019 Breakfast: Sunday, May 26, 8:30 am, Alumni Hall. Class of 2019 only.
- Class of 2019 Head of School’s Gathering: Sunday, May 26, 10:15 am, Memorial Chapel. Class of 2019 only.
- Commencement: Sunday, May 26, 11 am, Thorndike Field. (Please note that student commitments begin at 8:30 am.) Diplomas are awarded to the Class of 2019.
- Commencement Lunch: May 26, 1 pm. Complimentary buffet lunch for students, their families, and guests. Located in Alumni Hall for students affiliated with the Cottages, Ford Cottage, Hayden, Wallace, Rikert, Oaknoll, South Farmhouse, and North Farmhouse. Located in Forslund Gym for students from Crossley, MacKinnon, Shea, and Overtoun.
Tiffani Brown ’96, a global business executive, storyteller, traveler, and current NMH trustee, will give the 2019 Commencement address.
Please plan ahead and make reservations as soon as possible. Spring is a busy time in the Pioneer Valley; most hotels south of NMH will be booked early. Also consider looking north to nearby Brattleboro, VT, or Keene, NH. For a list of hotels, check out the area lodging page.
Families have been mailed a packet of information that includes an invitation to Commencement exercises. Additional invitations are available in the deans' office.
Caps and gowns
Commencement regalia belong to the school and are loaned to students for Baccalaureate and Commencement. We ask graduates to return their caps and gowns immediately after Commencement.
Campus safety officers will direct you to campus parking on Commencement morning. If you have special parking needs, please inform the officer. Vehicle and pedestrian traffic on campus will be heavy; please obey the campus speed limit (19 mph) and be sure to allow extra time for parking.
Accessibility for people with disabilities
Golf carts will be circulating throughout campus to assist anyone with special needs. Please take advantage of this complimentary service. Restrooms for people with disabilities are available in nearly all buildings except older dormitories.
Professional photographers from Commencement Photos, Inc. will take one candid shot of every student accepting their diploma and one posed shot at the bottom of the stage. We encourage you to use this service and to limit personal photography during the ceremony for the benefit of all Commencement guests.
An order form for Commencement Photos, Inc. was mailed to you in February. You also may order from the company's website just before and after Commencement.
In addition, general photos taken during Commencement weekend by NMH photographers will be available on our Flickr site within a few days of the event.
LIVE STREAM/video of Commencement ceremony
Extreme weather plan
Commencement is held under a spacious tent on Thorndike Field. Please be prepared for variable weather.
Thorndike Field may prove difficult to walk on with high-heeled shoes. Given the rolling campus terrain, the paths, and the lawns, graduates, families, and guests are urged to wear flat-soled shoes on campus. Please check the forecast and dress for the weather.
Campus dormitories will close for graduates at 5 pm on Commencement Sunday. Please remove all personal items from your graduate's room. Anything left behind will be donated to charity or to the NMH Ecoleaders' fall tag sale.
Shipping and storage
Summer storage may be available at local facilities such as Bernardston Self Storage (413-648-5393). You also may obtain permission to ship directly to the college your graduate will attend in the fall. The campus UPS store will be open only during weekdays and closed Sunday, May 26, so encourage your graduate to pack and ship belongings before Commencement weekend. More information about the campus UPS store, including it's offerings and schedule, can be found here.
Graduation gift ideas
- Lift Thine Eyes: The Landscape, the Buildings, the Heritage of Northfield Mount Hermon School (2010). Available in the NMH Bookstore on Sunday, May 26. Hardcover books, $50; soft cover, $37.50. To order online, click here or call 413-498-3411.
- You may wish to purchase a congratulatory postcard and rose to honor your graduate. Cards and flowers will be received the morning of Commencement, before the ceremony. You can also purchase cards to thank faculty and staff who have played an important role during your student's time at NMH. Orders are due by May 11. Please follow this link for commencement rose and card details.