APPLYING FOR FINANCIAL AID FOR 2021-22 school YEAR
New family DEADLINE: FEB. 1, 2021
(Returning family deadline: dec. 1, 2020)
We hold with the National Association of Independent Schools' (NAIS) guiding principle that the responsibility of financing a private education rests primarily with the student's family.
However, we also recognize that the cost of private education is daunting for most families. Northfield Mount Hermon is committed to assisting families who demonstrate a measurable level of financial need and who are also willing to assume as much responsibility for tuition as they are able. Currently, over 31 percent of students at NMH receive more than $10.4 million in financial aid.
NMH partners with School and Student Services (SSS) by Community Brands in our financial aid process. To apply for financial aid you need to create a PFS online account with your email address and password. Your financial aid application will be complete when you have submitted your Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) and uploaded your required supporting tax documents.
The PFS is a comprehensive application that will take 2-3 hours to complete. You will need your most recent tax return before beginning the PFS. We also recommend that you review the wide range of materials that SSS has put together to help families with the financial aid process.
To make our decision, we use the information from the PFS and also consider our school policy, practices, and available budget.
HOW TO COMPLETE THE PARENTS’ FINANCIAL STATEMENT (PFS) ONLINE
- Beginning October 2, 2020, visit the SSS family portal at solutionsbysss.com/parents.
- If you need help completing the PFS, contact SSS customer service at (800) 344-8328.
- Create your PFS Online account with your email address and a password. If you applied for financial aid last year, simply login to the PFS Online as a Returning Family, using the email address and password you set up last year.
- Begin a PFS for Academic Year 2021–22. You can log out of the PFS Online at any time, then return later to complete it.
- After you have pressed submit, you will be brought to a payment screen. The fee of $51 is nonrefundable. Once your PFS is submitted, it cannot be withdrawn from the SSS system.
- After you pay for and submit your PFS, you will have access on the PFS Online to a section called “Manage Documents.” You can upload the additional documents we require there.
HOW TO SUBMIT ADDITIONAL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS ONLINE
- Prepare your documents (see checklist below) to be uploaded. Make sure the documents are on your computer, each saved as a separate file. Remove any security or password protection from your document files.
- Return to the PFS Online and log in.
- Select the Academic Year 2021-22 button.
- From the PFS Online, click “My Documents” tab.
- On the “My Documents” page, you will see an upload button or a hyperlink next to a specific document name in the "Required Documents" section of the PFS. Clicking either the upload button or a hyperlink will lead you through a series of steps allowing you to name, locate and save the file.
- Once you have uploaded a document, the date will appear in the “Date Uploaded” column within minutes of the upload. Some tax documents go through a verification process. It can take up to 48 hours for the verification process to complete.
NMH Aid Application Checklist
- Beginning October 2020, create an account and complete your Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) online at solutionsbysss.com/parents.
- Use NMH code: 5392
- Estimate your income and expenses for 2019 and 2020
- Explain any unique or concerning circumstances
Upload Your Tax Documents:
- 2020 W2s or end of year pay stub
- 2018 Federal Income Tax return, signed, with all 2018 schedules and statements
- 2019 Federal Income Tax return, signed, with all 2019 schedules and statements
- Business tax return(s) and balance sheet (if you own any part in a farm, sole proprietorship, partnership, S-Corporation) - IRS Schedule K-1, Form 1065, Form 1120, and/or Form 1120S
Countries other than the United States:
- Notarized copy of your most recent income tax report
- Earnings Statement from your employer
- Three (3) consecutive months of your most recent bank statements
- International Student Financial Aid Form
Students requesting financial aid will only be considered for spaces supported by financial aid. In order to be guaranteed financial aid for each year of attendance at NMH, students must receive financial aid in the first year and demonstrate continued need by submitting an aid application each year.
We require financial aid information from or about each parent. In cases where parents are not living together, we require each separate parent household to submit a financial aid application.
The primary responsibility lies with the student’s family to make sure the application is completed on time. The aid budget is typically depleted by applications received by the deadline.
Thérèse Collins, Director of Financial Aid
Joanne Kelly, Financial Aid Assistant