Mastering the Application Process Workshops
Applying to boarding school takes time and effort. We're here to help.
We know that preparing to apply for a boarding school can feel like a daunting task. NMH’s admission counselors are ready to help you with the process. Our team has a combined 100+ years of experience helping families apply to boarding school. We work with families like yours every day — and we love what we do.
First, take a look at our checklist for researching and comparing schools.
Then, check out our series of free, virtual “Mastering the Application: Tips” workshops, where our team will help you navigate, step by step, the process of researching, applying to, and deciding on the right school for you
INTERVIEWING: YOU'RE IMPRESSIVE - LET'S SHOW IT!
- Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2023 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2023 | 7-8 pm ET
- Tuesday, May 30, 2023 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, May 31, 2023 | 7-8 pm ET
Putting yourself out there in an interview is easy for some people. Others need time to warm up — and you don’t have that time during the interview. This session offers tips on how to make the interview go your way. Whether you’re outgoing or reserved, you have strengths, and you need the confidence to make them shine. This isn't bragging: It’s sharing who you are and why you should be at a school.
- Interview etiquette
- Feeling comfortable in an interview setting
- How to highlight personal strengths
- How to talk about weaknesses with a growth mindset
- Typical interview questions
RECOMMENDATIONS: GETTING THE BEST ONES
- Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2022 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2022 | 7-8 pm ET
- Tuesday, May 9, 2023 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, May 10, 2023 | 7-8 pm ET
Don’t underestimate your connections with your teachers. This session will help you identify whom to ask for recommendations and how to lay the groundwork to get the best ones.
- How to ask for a recommendation
- How to build a relationship with teachers
- How to position yourself to receive a good recommendation
- Identifying extracurricular activities or relationships that paint a fuller picture
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT: WHAT DO YOU DO?
- Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2022 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2022 | 7-8 pm ET
- Tuesday, May 16, 2023 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, May 17, 2023 | 7-8 pm ET
Schools want students who will engage with others in the community around shared interests. Some students have invested time in one particular activity; others try lots of different activities. Still others might feel like they haven’t done much at all. This session will help you identify the activities and passions that have helped shape your life — and that you can bring to your next school.
- How to gauge your interest in an activity
- Exploring available opportunities and getting involved at any level
- How to connect with a school community — right now
- Understanding the range of student schedules
- How to transform an interest into community engagement
- How to connect with parents, teachers, coaches, and counselors
THE ESSAY: IT'S A GAME CHANGER
- Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2022 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2022 | 7-8 pm ET
- Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2023 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2023 | 7-8 pm ET
- Tuesday, May 2, 2023 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, May 3, 2023 | 7-8 pm ET
Your essay should say something about you that isn’t obvious in the rest of your application. A good essay can boost your application and help propel you to an offer of admission. This session will help free you to tell your story and provide tips on telling it well.
- The purpose of the essay
- What admission counselors are looking for
- How to tell your story
- The idea of writing style
- Reflecting on the nuances in examples of student essays
BRINGING YOUR APPLICATION TOGETHER
- Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2022 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2022 | 7-8 pm ET
- Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2023 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, Jan. 25, 2023 | 7-8 pm ET
- Tuesday, June 6, 2023 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, June 7, 2023 | 7-8 pm ET
There is an art and science to assembling your application so it shows the best of you. This session covers the five main evaluation components: recommendations, activities, testing, the interview, and the essay. (For an even deeper dive, join our sessions on interviewing, essay writing, and recommendations and activities, listed above).
- Understanding the boarding school application process
- Thinking about the application as one unit that tells a story
- Why each section of the application process matters
- How to position yourself for success
- Getting a handle on the application requirements
HOW DO I SELECT THE BEST BOARDING SCHOOL FOR ME?
- Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2022 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2022 | 7-8 pm ET
- Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2023 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2023 | 7-8 pm ET
- Tuesday, May 23, 2023 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, May 24, 2023 | 7-8 pm ET
To choose the right school, you need to know what’s important to you. Not other people — you. But how do you differentiate between what is non-negotiable and what is a desire? This session will offer tips on figuring that out, including from NMH students who’ve been through it already.
- The process of selecting a school through student eyes
- Identifying what you must have (non-negotiables) vs. what you wish for (desires)
- Discovering what you want in a school (not what others want for you)
- How to effectively gather information about schools
LEARN ABOUT THE FINANCIAL AID PROCESS - GET YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
- Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2023 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2023 | 7-8 pm ET
- Tuesday, June 13, 2023 | 8-9 am ET
- Wednesday, June 14, 2023 | 7-8 pm ET
Financial aid can be a big factor in making independent school a viable option for families, and how you complete the financial-aid application will make a difference in the amount of aid you receive. Join us to get answers to your questions about financial aid.
- What to do and not do when applying for financial aid
- How and why boarding schools distribute financial aid
- How admission offices think about financial aid
We look forward to getting to know you during the application process. Let us know how we can help.