"I’m a teacher and a dean."
Some of the many exciting and enriching opportunities at NMH are nowhere near campus.
Some of the many exciting and enriching opportunities at NMH are nowhere near campus. Instead, you’ll find them in places such as Brazil, China, South Africa, and Qatar. When you participate in one of our study-abroad programs, you could travel for one to five weeks. Whether it’s staying with a local family on our language-immersion programs or participating in service-learning projects, you’ll get incredible insights into another country and its people. You’ll also gain new perspectives on yourself, your own culture, and the world at large.
The programs are designed around topics such as environmental, socio-economic, and political issues; the arts; literature; history; and religion. In non-English-speaking countries, you’ll also work on your language skills. If you’re participating in an interdisciplinary study-abroad program, your travel time will be combined with on-campus courses for part of the semester. These enhance your experience through reading and writing assignments.
Activities while abroad can include visiting favelas (Brazilian shanty towns), learning candombe drumming in Uruguay, or visiting the Hagia Sophia mosque in Istanbul. You might attend classes at a local school, keep a journal for the course, or do an independent research project. And whether you’re writing critical analyses or personal narratives or exploring Maori political issues or the role of Islamic art, you’re sure to gain insights you simply couldn’t have gotten at home.
Participation in our study-abroad programs is selective and by application only. To find which programs you are eligible to participate in, check the links to individual programs below or contact the Global Engagement Office. Each study-abroad program involves costs in addition to tuition. Limited and supplemental financial aid may be available.
Travel courses open opportunities that you wouldn’t find on any campus. The intercultural competence you gain while abroad will help you become an adaptable, flexible, and self-aware global leader ready to succeed back at NMH and beyond!
The programs change from year to year, depending on enrollment and staffing.
- HUM II: Brazil
- HUM II: China
- HUM II: India
- HUM II: South Africa
- HUM II: Spain and Morocco
- New Zealand/Aotearoa Studies
Language and Cultural Immersion Programs
- China Language and Cultural Immersion
- France Language and Cultural Immersion
- Uruguay Language and Cultural Immersion
Model United Nations Programs
- The Hague International Model U.N. Conference
- Model U.N. Conference in Johannesburg, South Africa
- Greece Model U.N. Conference
- Georgetown Qatar Model United Nations Conference
- Ivy League Model U.N. Conference at UPenn
- Belize: Music, Culture, and Service
- Belize: Healthcare, Development, and Service
- Community Service in India
- Ghana: Dance, Drumming, and Culture
- New Zealand Scots College Exchange Program
- Cuba: Arts, Nature, and History Adventure