From the moment you arrive at NMH, you will be struck by the beauty of the forests, fields, and river that surround the campus.
Our sustainability program is a multi-faceted approach to maintaining the integrity of these natural resources. We empower students to explore, understand, and protect the environment, beginning with orientation programs and continuing throughout the curriculum. Our graduates are conscientious, motivated, and active citizens of a changing world.
NMH inspires the school community to work collaboratively as active stewards of our shared environmental, economic, and human resources.
Sustainability in Practice at NMH
- NMH2O: No need for single-use water bottles at NMH; award-winning water flows from campus taps.
- Net-Zero Electricity: NMH will achieve net-zero electricity use for at least the next three years. Read more.
- Biofuel Heating: NMH’s buildings are heated with biofuel, which eliminated carbon emissions from that source.
- NMH GreenSale: Gently used dorm-room items are reconditioned and reused by students.
- Farmers’ Market Teach-In: Each spring, all classes study food systems and their local impacts, and a farmers’ market on campus is a learning laboratory for every academic department.
- Green Restaurant Certification: Dining Services’ sustainable practices earned them a three-star green restaurant certification.
- Electric Vehicle Charging Station: All electric vehicle users can power up while on campus.
- Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Investments: some of NMH’s endowment is invested in a portfolio designed to maximize environmental, social, and governance-related sustainability.
- NMH Farm: The campus farm is pesticide-free, largely solar-powered, and uses organic practices.