We hold with the National Association of Independent Schools' (NAIS) guiding principle that the responsibility of financing a private education rests primarily with the student's family. However, we also recognize that the cost of private education is daunting for most families. Northfield Mount Hermon is committed to assisting families who demonstrate a measurable level of financial need and who are also willing to assume as much responsibility for tuition as they are able. Currently, over 34 percent of students at NMH receive more than $6.7 million in grants and over $150,000 in long-term, low-interest loans.
New Student Applicants - February 1, 2013
Returning Students - January 15, 2013
The online application for financial aid will be available starting November 1, 2012 at sss.nais.org
Financial Aid Instructions and Timeline
- NEW STUDENT APPLICANTS: the deadline to apply for financial aid for 2013-14 is February 1, 2013
- RETURNING STUDENTS: the deadline to apply for financial aid for 2013-14 is January 15, 2013
The aid budget is typically depleted by applications received by the deadline.
Students requesting financial aid will only be considered for spaces supported by financial aid.
In order to be guaranteed financial aid for each year of attendance at NMH, students must receive financial aid in the first year and demonstrate continued need by submitting an aid application each year.
We require financial aid information from or about each parent. In cases where parents are not living together, we require each separate parent household to submit a financial aid application.
- Starting on November 1, 2012, go to sss.nais.org.
- Click on the prompt to begin your Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS). You only need to complete one PFS for your household.
- You will be given a username and password that will allow you to return to your PFS to update each year or as needed. Your information will be secure.
- You will be given instructions about submitting supporting documents to SSS. These will include:
- Copy of 2011 Federal Income Tax return, signed, and all IRS 1040 schedules and W-2 forms.
- Copy of 2012 W-2 forms and copy of 2012 Federal Income Tax return, signed, and all IRS 1040 schedules (as soon as available).
- Canadians – Copy of 2011 T-1 forms and T-4 forms; Copy of 2012 T-1 and T-4 forms as soon as available.
- Other International Families – A notarized copy of your most recent income tax report and an earnings statement from your employer.
- 2013-14 NMH Financial Aid Application for International Applicants.
- Business/Farm – If either parent owns a business or farm, send a completed copy of the Business/Farm Statement for each separate entity.
- Tax documentation for partnerships and corporations is also required. (IRS Schedule K-1, Form 1065, Form 1120, or Form 1120s)
Please explain any unique circumstances you wish us to know about—send this information directly to the financial aid office via email, fax, or regular mail. Should you have questions about financial aid, please contact the financial aid office. We look forward to working with you!
Lea A. Emery ’84 P'13
Director of Financial Aid
Joanne Kelly P'94
Financial Aid Assistant
The Financial Aid Office is located in the Admission Office in Bolger House. See directions.
Northfield Mount Hermon
One Lamplighter Way
Mount Hermon, MA 01354